This blog's original intent was to write only about "tech" stuff, but after 3 posts I realize that for now it is going to be about whatever I feel up to at the moment. Read, Learn & Laugh.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

iPhone vs. Android part 1

Being the mobility coordinator for a global midsized company has given me the opportunity to work with both the iPhone and most recently the Android. Today I had an iPhone that was malfunctioning and while working with it I realized one of the biggest differences between it and the Android was the way Apple has incorporated the iPhone with iTunes whereas Google has pretty much left the Android hanging. The simple integration with gmail that Android offers seems like pure beginners fodder compared to how Apple has set up iTunes' functionality with the iPhone. From my personal iTunes account I can set up multiple iPhone accounts and label them according to user. This allows me to upgrade, backup, remote wipe and half ass manage our iPhones. If you think this is something minor imagine trying to manage 50+ iPhones with users ranging from somewhat tech savvy to having no clue beyond checking email, I'm sure you can see the challenge. Android has no such ability, the only offering is contact backup via gmail. If you want to upgrade, backup or remote wipe this must all be done via 3rd party apps, i.e. Remote Wipe for Root Users (free), SMS Erase (paid), My Backup Pro (paid), Handy Backup for Android (free), Sprite Backup (paid), My Backup (free), much more difficult to manage and control. The few Androids I have rolled out were met with initial excitement and then came the 1st update, no one knew what to do, then the questions on backups and remote wipes, these are questions I still have not resolved not just from a management perspective but also taking in security issues. Now I realize that chasing corporate money is probably not a high objective for Google but I would think that they would learn a lesson from the iPhone, i.e. in the past year AT&T has aggressivly sought corporate accounts and in meetings I've had with them they have pushed the iPhone for business, stating improvements with Exchange, security patches and most notably that in my local area all AT&T corporate reps are now using the iPhone and letting it be known that if it is secure enough for them it must be secure enough for us. Personally I prefer the Android but from where I sit my choice for business at this time is the iPhone. I like the user friendly tabs in the mobile area of iTunes, the ability to upgrade, backup apps, and manage multiple phones from one location. I'd love to see something similiar from Google for the Android. Expand gmail to include complete backups, multiple phone accounts and remote wipe ability then I would be more than happy to dump the iPhone and move to the Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment